The Instructional Development staff in the Office of Instructional Consultation, as well as those in TA Development, Production and Classroom Services, provide a full range of training and consulting services on all aspects of teaching, learning, course evaluation, production of instructional materials, educational technology, and delivery of course content.
We customize our consultations for each faculty member according to their individual circumstances. We also consult with academic departments on a number of topics, such as faculty development, TA training, developing program level learning outcomes, and ESCI survey questions. Please contact our office manager, Sarah, to arrange an appointment.
Come talk to us to discuss:
- Designing assignments, tests, grading structure, syllabi, group work, etc.
- Best practices for large or small class lectures
- Improving student retention of difficult material
- Increasing student participation in lecture and section/lab
- Working with TAs
- Having a consultant observe your class teaching and provide confidential feedback
- UCSB instructional culture, common best practices, and creative teaching experiences
- Writing customized ESCI questions
- Using technology in pedagogically-sound ways
- Writing an ILTI or Instructional Improvement Project (IIP) grant
- Teaching controversial topics
- Designing online coursework
- And anything else related to teaching and learning